[QA] G25-G modem improvements (Testers wanted)
PinePhone EG25-G modem improvements
With this we fix several issues with the EG25-G modem of the PinePhone such as:
- USB resets.
- Long time between waking up and ringing when a call is received.
- More reliable text messages when no suspend/resume hooks are enabled.
Problems with the EG25-G modem
- EG25-G modem has USB resets when you receive a call or text in deep sleep. You miss several ringtones before the phone starts ringing
- ModemManages probes the modem each time the phone is resuming. Another 2-3 ringtones are lost before the phone rings.
- Without suspend/resume probing, text messages are not processed by ModemManager as the URCs to indicate such an event are not enabled. ModemManager relies on QMI indications for that, but these are lost during resume as there's no cache as with the URCs over the AT port.
Patches in this improvement
- Some USB configs from Quectel, together with some from ModemManager's mailing list avoids these USB resets.
- Upgraded ModemManager to 1.14.10.
- Patched ModemManager to use AT URCs for texts as well as an optional feature with an UDEV tag.
- Added a CLI option to ModemManager to disable suspend/resume hooks
Please test this out to get some feedback as modifications to the modem setup are crucial for a ... phone.
- Install update your system on 'unstable' branch and do not forget to reboot. Else you can download this dev-build and flash it via Etcher to your MicroSD card.
- Let the phone sleep and call/text the phone.
- The phone should wake up instantly and start ringing in ~500ms.
- Note your used firmware via
sudo mmcli -m any --command='AT+QGMR'
- Report your findings here with the following template:
|Ring on first dial tone?||OK|
|No calls missed?||OK|
|No texts missed?||OK|
|USB resets fixed?||OK|
I added my test values as an example, feel free to change those if something doesn't work on your side. If that's case, please include a description with some details about what doesn't work on your side. Note: If you haven't upgraded the modem firmware, write stock in the template.